Saturday, July 14, 2007

Freedom Writers

So we finally got around to seeing Freedom Writers last night. I had written earlier about attending a wonderfully inspirational and moving talk by Erin Gruwell. And I have to say that the movie definitely lived up to my expectations.

Gruwell had talked about many of the events portrayed in the movie and those were, of course, wonderful. But many of the events I hadn't heard about before were equally moving. I particularly liked the visit to the Holocaust Museum and the visit by Miep Gies (the lady who hid Anne Frank's family).

But I have to agree with my colleague: while Hilary Swank did a great job in the movie, Erin Gruwell is much more inspirational in real life! And I found the portrayal of the English Department Head to be a little too caricatured. But all in all, I highly recommend the movie.

No comments:

/* Google Analytics tracking */